Phonics - Rising Star Reading Scheme
Reading Scheme in EYFS/ KS1
- We use an independent reading scheme with fully decodable books that are used in conjunction with Letters and Sounds
- Built on the very latest research; DFE approved
- Lilac Lift-Off stage features a dozen wordless books that develop essential early-language skills for reading readiness, helping children learn how to ‘tune-in’ to sounds, music, rhythm and rhymes. There are audio narratives, songs, rhymes, chants and sound effects for each book, and six posters available for further practice and extension.
- Then follows 48 fully decodable Rocket Phonics books focusing on key phonemes that allow children to practise their emerging reading skills.
- The third strand helps developing confident, independent readers, and is devoted to 72 Comet Street Kids.
- The final Galaxy strand is a library of fiction, non-fiction, poetry and plays to enhance the book choice and selection.
What does this look like in the classroom?
Reading Planet has been designed to run alongside the teaching of phonics. The books help children to practise (RP), apply (RP/ CSK/ G) and consolidate (CSK/ G) any new learnt phonemes. Children will bring two books home – a decodable book which supports their individual journey in phonics using the Rising Stars scheme and a book to share at home. This will either be from the classroom or the library and is one that promotes a love of reading. The children will also have full online access to a library of books at home.
Reading in KS2
A reading scheme for struggling readers is currently being developed for KS2, with resources being researched (November 2020).