Early Reading at Bearbrook
The systematic teaching of phonics has a high priority throughout Foundation Stage and Key Stage One. At Bearbrook Combined School, we value reading as a key life skill, and are dedicated to enabling our pupils to become lifelong readers. We acknowledge that children need access a rigorous, well planned, phonics programme that is delivered consistently throughout the school by all staff. Our methods and resources are embedded within our programme ensuring that children are exposed to a consistent phonics education. This consistency enables children to build on previous learning whilst consolidating their knowledge and application skills. We also value and encourage the pupils to read for enjoyment and recognise that this starts with the foundations of acquiring letter sounds, segmenting and blending skills.
- Through the teaching of letters and sounds and Jolly Phonics the children are taught the essential skills needed for reading. Phonics is taught daily to all children in Foundation Stage, and KS1.
- Extra support is provided to those in Year 2 who have not passed phonics screening in Year 1 and interventions are planned for those children who are working below expected levels.
- Staff systematically teach learners the relationship between sounds and the written spelling patterns, or graphemes, which represent them. Phonics is delivered in a whole class format because it enables staff to ensure application across subjects embedding the process in a rich literacy environment for early readers.
- Pupils have regular reading sessions with an adult we ensure the pupils are regularly practising and applying their phonics knowledge.
- In the EYFS the continuous provision matches the pupil’s current knowledge and understanding whilst ensuring the children are suitably challenged. Teachers regularly assess the pupil’s phonics knowledge using the phonics assessment. These regular assessments inform planning and allow teachers to identify any gaps in learning.
- The children have reading books (including online access) which match their current phonics level and which they are encouraged to read regularly at home
- We promote our school philosophy by ensuring that the books we share with our children are diverse, inclusive and of high quality.
What does this look like in the classroom?
Reading Planet has been designed to run alongside the teaching of phonics.
Within the reading scheme, there are three series of books which include:
- Rocket Phonics (to help children to practise phonemes - various stories)
- Comet Street Kids (to apply and consolidate any newly learnt phonemes - character based fiction books)
- Galaxy (to apply and consolidate any newly learnt phonemes - Non fiction books)
Children will bring two books home – a decodable book that supports their individual journey in phonics using the Rising Stars scheme and a book to share at home. This will either be from the classroom or the library and is one that promotes a love of reading. The children will also have full online access to a library of books at home.
Rising Stars KS1 Reading Scheme
If you would like more information please see Rising Stars Guide To Reading With Your Child.